Be the first to comment on this entry!
Parkland Employment Opportunity
Faculty of Arts - Parkland Institute
Parkland Institute is searching for a high energy and diverse communications professional. Reporting to the Associate Director, the Communications Coordinator will be responsible for the Institute’s media relations, outreach, public relations, and production of publications and reports.
Competition No. - S107325395
Posting Date - Nov 28, 2014
Closing Date - Dec 10, 2014
Position Type - Full Time - Grant Funded
Salary Range - $45,490 to $61,418 per year
Grade - 07
Hours - 35
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: http://www.hrs.ualberta.ca.
- Writes and distributes media advisories and releases, coordinates media conferences, and builds and maintains relationships with media in Alberta and across the country
- Pitches stories to media about Parkland’s research and programming
- Handles all media inquiries and directing media to the appropriate Parkland staff person or researcher
- Works with the Associate Director, and other staff as necessary, to draft media strategies for all major report releases and public events
- Maintains Parkland’s media database
- Works closely with the Associate Director and other staff in the development of Parkland’s overall communications and fund development strategies, as well as specific strategies for outreach and promotions, media, and social media
- Manages Parkland’s communications with members and supporters, including the send out of regular e-mail updates about Parkland Institute’s activities, research, and programming, and hard-copy newsletters as required
- Manages Parkland’s web and social media presence, including responsibility for updating and maintaining the web-site(s), Facebook page, and Twitter presence
- Coordinates promotions and advertising for special events, programming and the annual conference
- Coordinates Parkland information tables at conferences, community events, and public venues, including making arrangements with event hosts to have a table, preparing display materials, coordinating volunteers, and also staffing the table when necessary or advantageous to have a staff member there talking to people, handing out literature, selling reports/registrations/tickets, and answering questions
- Manages the copy-editing, design, and publication of all Parkland Institute research reports
- Manages the writing, editing, design, and production of all Parkland Institute promotional materials
- Manages the writing, design, production and dissemination of Parkland’s annual report
- A post-secondary degree/diploma in communications or public relations is desirable; equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a fast-paced communications environment, either with a non-profit, advocacy organization, or research institute is required
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience working with media, writing press releases, and hosting press conferences
- Experience with web-site maintenance, social media, and electronic communications
- Experience with writing and development of promotional materials and newsletters (electronic and print)
- Strong copy-editing skills, and a good understanding of design principles
- Extensive experience in Alberta’s progressive advocacy and research community
Along with your cover letter and resume, please provide a sample showcasing your writing achievements (please ensure that your submission does not exceed 20 pages and attach under the list of publications option).
How to Apply:
Apply Online Here (online applications are preferred)
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
1-12 Humanities Centre, University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2E5
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. If suitable Canadian citizens or permanent residents cannot be found, other individuals will be considered.
The University of Alberta hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.
Comment on this entry
Please log in to comment. If you don't have Parkland Institute site login yet, register here (it's free and we don't share your email address with anyone).